Advantages of hydroponic tunnel farming
- Hydroponically produced vegetables can be of high quality and need little washing.
- Soil preparation and weeding is reduced or eliminated.
- It is possible to produce very high yields of vegetables on a small area because an environment optimal for plant growth is created. All the nutrients and water that the plants need, are available at all times.
- One does not need good soil to grow vegetables.
- Water is used efficiently.
- Pollution of soil with unused nutrients is greatly reduced
Disadvantages of hydroponics
- Hydroponic production is management, capital and labour intensive.
- A high level of expertise is required.
- Daily attention is necessary.
- Specially formulated, soluble nutrients must always be used.
- Pests and diseases remain a big risk.
- Finding a market can be a problem.